toshiba-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Working out of the box with wacom

Il giorno gio, 03/07/2008 alle 20.15 -0500, Justin Dugger ha scritto:
> How many are interested in setting their sights on
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1124/ ?One of the big concerns with
> Ubuntu working out of the box on toshiba tablets is autodetecting the
> wacom. Currently, I have to take the following steps to set up the
> Wacom digitizer:
>
> 1. Install package wacom-tools
> 2. Configure xorg to handle wacom
> 3. Restart X
> 4. run xsetwacom set button2 3 to change buttons around
> 5. Configure GIMP and friends to use XInput.

My opinion is as follows: all these points might be turned into a
configuration utility for gnome. However points 1 and 2 require root
permissions and point 3 is the most painful for usb or serial tablet
users.

The idea would thus be, as a first step, to implement a "tablet setup"
program for tablet pcs (that is, where the tablet is always connected).

The tablet setup program would have a "enable tablet" checkbox that in
turn also enables a "buttons setup and calibration" tab. Regarding
xournal and gimp, we could provide patched packages that enable xinput
by default, and ask maintainers (well, for xournal that's easy :) ) to
add the patches to the ubuntu packages.

Vincenzo