u+1 team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Hi,

On 28 August 2012 07:04, Nicholas Skaggs <nicholas.skaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FYI -- as spoken of earlier, here's the details on dropping the alternate
> installer in 12.10. Again, this is just for ubuntu, and not a decision for
> any flavors. As far as I know, no flavors have committed to dropping the
> alternate cd's. This transition will occur with the next milestone, which is
> Beta 1. As part of this, we'll need to migrate the alternate testcases and
> add new testcases in support of the new features in ubiquity. Thanks!

so you have already decided? I did think there was a discussion before
proceding, but it looks like this change will already take its effect
starting from the next beta. Don't you think we should ask first the
community what they think about? It's non sense that in less than 24
hours you start the discussion on ubuntu-devel and you have already
decided for everyone. I can't get it, sorry.

Let me say that this is the worst idea ever proposed! I won't be able
to use Ubuntu on my desktop anymore because I'm using a RAID 1 setup
and I want to do a safe installation not using some workaround later
after installation and risking to loose my data.

Even more, alternate install CD is the only way for some PC to
complete the installation. You can't imagine how many time I had to
use alternate installer because ubiquity was freezing.

I really cannot understand how you can propose something that will
make Ubuntu worse than it is,
We're supposed to make Ubuntu BETTER not worse.

Best regards,

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia-DX/Tampere / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi