u+1 team mailing list archive

[XX-cycle][UbuntuGnome] It's time to prepare for the TestersWiki and QAs for XWayland?

Greetings,

For a couple of months I've been testing "Gnome on Wayland" with some
bleeding-edge packages on my own PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/ubuntu/wayland

Unfortunately current WW cycle might not be suitable for testing XWayland
so much because some Gnome 3.16 stuffs (mainly mutter, gtk+, and more) were
too old to exam XWayland mode... :(
I've already tried lots of cherry-picked patches to put into 3.16s, but
weren't good. Indeed, I think we should simply wait for the 3.18 or higher.

Basically most of Gtk+ applications would work with wayland Gdk backend
mode, however, especially multimedia , input method, a11y stuffs need some
tests on both wayland/x11 gdk backend, and surely Open-Source Graphics
Drivers as well. I've run XWayland on my Haswell, Sandy-Bridge, I965 and
some AMD Radeon HD series though, but it's not enough... :(

So we'd better to start discussions of XWayland/Weston "after" releasing XX
pre-alpha snapshot I suppose (I'm not sure whether XX employs Gnome 3.18 or
3.20 though). If so, we need to make some Wiki up for those who wants to
dive into XWayland? Of course I'm OK to write Wiki from now but I don't
know MoinMoin Python editor at all, so how I should be? Still generic
browser-based writing/editing can be accepted for?

Anyway I want to start it ASAP... :-)
Any thoughts?

Best Regards.
Tista