u1db-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: A DB of my own

On 12/05/2011 07:47 PM, Stuart Langridge wrote:
I basically agree here with all of this, I think. Having a "sync daemon"
doesn't apply on many platforms, it means that apps have to be much more
vigilant about whether the data has changed without them noticing, and
it's an extra daemon which has to be running all the time and so on.
After various discussions, I think I'm less convinced by the idea that
it's necessary, and more convinced that apps should deal with syncing
themselves, possibly with some useful utility libraries to handle the
get-a-u1-auth-token stuff which could be part of a u1db implementation
on a given platform. So, no sync daemon, barring compelling new
arguments.
One of the other benefits of not having sync out of process is that we can control when sync happens, so you dont need to check for conflicts on every write, because you (the app developer) know when someone else might add changes to your database, and you can block the whole ui during that period.

Its not the best ui model, but at least it provides a simple way to do simple apps without having to do all the boilerplate of writing, checking for conflicts, popup resolve dialogs and stuff like that everywhere.

Simple things simple, complex things possible.

Lucio