u1db-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: python 3

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 13:51 +0100, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> On 2/25/2012 2:05 AM, Pavol Klacansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to start write daemon in python 3, which uses u1db
> > for storing data. Is there any plans for supporting python 3? I can
> > possibly make port
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I think we would be happy to have a python 3 port, and would be
> willing to accommodate some changes. At the moment, our target is
> still Python 2 because that is still the primary python on Ubuntu,
> though that is likely to change over the next year or so.
>
> I don't expect there to be much difficulty in porting to Python 3 for
> the pure-python implementation.

I agree, on the other hand I think we need to spend a little bit of time
adding tests related to non-ASCII values, there's a couple of places in
which prototyping so far we have ignored what kind of type/enconding
content is really in, because as long as it is ASCII it doesn't matter
in python2. Not hard to fix in python2 but we need to have a pass at
that.