ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

Changed development focus to HTML branch for ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

Hellooo!

SVGs are wonderful tools, but I suddenly decided that indeed the nicest
way to get this rolling is pure HTML.

Thus, I created a new branch where I ported everything over to a nice
XHTML / CSS / Javascript scheme with ajaxy crossfades and everything!

I also went a bit crazy and not only uploaded this new branch, but also
marked it as the project's development focus! It is now what you will
get if you run bzr branch lp:ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu.

Benefits:
      * Localization will now be painless. The changing part of a slide
        is less than 1 kb, not counting graphics which may need to be
        changed, and is a very very simple XML format. (Basically a tiny
        snippet of an HTML document).
      * Diff does not have it in for me now.
      * Slide layout and styling can be changed in a single swoop.
      * Appearance is identical to the SVG version.
      * Creating a slide is definitely quicker.
      * The whole thing is now very close together; every bit of
        presentation is handled by the same system.
      * Users can now click on links and get to web pages. Whether this
        is a good idea is up for debate.
      * This is all dynamic. Images can have Alt text, screen readers
        will work. (And any other accessibility technologies Webkit
        feels like).
      * We can have images in-line with text and styles shared between
        documents. Here comes that solution to describing menu items I
        had described!

Drawbacks:
      * No longer WYSIWYG. In fact, it's a bit fiddly to see one's own
        slide since it must be loaded by Slideshow.html first.
        (Otherwise you get a very boring, plain looking page). A clever
        script would fix that, but Inkscape was definitely easier.

With that last point in mind, the SVG version of things is readily
available (and still useful) over at
lp:~ubiquity-slideshow/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/svg. If you did
something with SVGs but haven't committed it yet, or are just plain
tired of my constant changing (although this is definitely the best
yet!) feel free to push there or to another branch from it and I'll
happily port it over to the HTML branch.

Take care!
Dylan McCall