ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

Re: ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu: New content for Ubuntu slideshow

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It took a bit longer than expected, but here is a new version of the
> Ubuntu installer slideshow's content:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/ubuntu/slides/index.html#?controls

> This has 21 possible string changes, and there are probably 4-5 more
> incoming with the Ubuntu One stuff. (That's out of 52 total, so not
> the one third limit but not _too_ far from it, and it's all very
> pretty).
>
> The really important changes are to the first slide (welcome.html),
> installing-software.html, openoffice.html, social.html and media.html.
> I did some VERY slight tinkering with the slides about fspot,
> evolution and firefox.
> Lots of titles are changed, particularly to make them shorter, usually
> by removing the names of applications.
>
> I am still wondering what to do with the Firefox slide (really, if
> this was a month ago, I would probably remove the thing completely and
> put something new in its place), and I would love to rewrite the
> accessibility one. That can probably all wait for Mammoth Mammoth :)
>
> All of this could do with some scrutiny before I start throwing around
> string changes, so any feedback you have would be great!

This seems to have regressed a bit:
- The title text is significantly smaller, which looks odd to me.
- In your latest changes there's a red background color for the title
text (fixable by commenting out line 67 in general.css).
- The text of the first line overlaps the icon on the documentation slide.

I'm wondering now if it was wrong to say that 800x600 should be our
minimum resolution.  If having large titles, even in particularly
verbose languages, is important to the design, then perhaps we should
make 1024x600 (the common netbook resolution) the minimum for the
slideshow.  The actual width of the slideshow window would be
somewhere between 800 and 1024px.

Thoughts?