ubiquity-slideshow team mailing list archive

Re: ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu: New content for Ubuntu slideshow

> This seems to have regressed a bit:
> - The title text is significantly smaller, which looks odd to me.
> - In your latest changes there's a red background color for the title
> text (fixable by commenting out line 67 in general.css).
> - The text of the first line overlaps the icon on the documentation slide.
>
> I'm wondering now if it was wrong to say that 800x600 should be our
> minimum resolution.  If having large titles, even in particularly
> verbose languages, is important to the design, then perhaps we should
> make 1024x600 (the common netbook resolution) the minimum for the
> slideshow.  The actual width of the slideshow window would be
> somewhere between 800 and 1024px.
>
> Thoughts?

Eek! Thanks for noticing.
I forgot to take that out when I was checking how things aligned.

Shrinking the title is fine for the English version but while I was
doing it I remembered it would make translations REALLY difficult. So,
I experimented with multi-line titles. My solution was to put the
title text at the usual size (28px) for the first line, but 20px for
any other lines. Also, it had to be aligned by the bottom instead of
the top.
A screenshot of that is attached. (Although it doesn't behave quite
that way at the moment; that's what the commented out CSS is for).

Unfortunately, since the title is currently using position:fixed to be
relative to the viewport (for the transition effect, for now),
aligning it by the bottom causes trouble unless the viewport is
exactly the right size. So... I'm fixing that at some point, but
probably after the content gets sorted. (Surely there's some
witchcraft that will get this element positioned relative to the page
container instead of its immediate parent!)

The font size should be as it was. Maybe it's an optical illusion?

Bigger languages are definitely a good thing to keep in mind. Right
now I think they are handled pretty gracefully, though, and the
English version always has about two lines of extra space in the body.
It should work quite well already.

Dylan

PS: The new-strings branch shortens the titles ;)