ubuntu-389-directory-server team mailing list archive

Re: Problem with 389-ds-base/389-ds-admin

On 29.02.2012 01:24, Justin Chudgar wrote:
> Seems that I am having the problem mentioned in this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-directory-users@xxxxxxxxxx/msg08770.html
>
> After reboot, I cannot start-dirsrv; getting "[28/Feb/2012:15:05:24
> -0800] - Shutting down due to possible conflicts with other slapd
> processes" in the relevant error log. Running
> "root@tiny:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dirsrv/slapd-tiny/start-slapd -d1"
> yields gazillions of lines of LDAP garbage followed at the end by "Error
> - Problem accessing the lockfile /var/lock/dirsrv/slapd-tiny/lock".
> Turns out that there is no such directory:
>     ls -la /var/lock/dirsrv/
>     ls: cannot access /var/lock/dirsrv/: No such file or directory

Use the initscript for starting the daemon, it creates the lockdir.
Start-* maybe needs fixing or removed from the package, it's just
confusing to have two ways to start the daemon.. The setup scripts use
'service foo start' anyway.

> Manually creating the lock directory allows start-dirsrv to work. That
> eliminates the bind error after running start-ds-admin. I does NOT
> however fix everything. Even when the base directory server is running
> (checked with Luma), visiting the ds-admin index page
>
> http://tiny.justinzane.com:9830/admin-serv/tasks/configuration/HTMLAdmin?op=index
> gives the following error in browser:
>     NMC_Status: 1
>     NMC_ErrType: System Error
>     NMC_ErrInfo: Could not read from pipe
>     NMC_ErrDetail: Could not read authentication information from pipe.
> while nothing is printed in the admin-serv/error log.

This is an upstream bug, currently under investigation:
https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/307

> PS: Is there an IRC or something similar that is use by Timo and others?
> I don't want to pollute the list unnecessarily.

Yup! Join #ubuntu-freeipa on freenode.