ubuntu-389-directory-server team mailing list archive

Re: Problem with 389-ds-base/389-ds-admin

On 29.02.2012 07:54, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
> On 29.02.2012 01:24, Justin Chudgar wrote:
>> Manually creating the lock directory allows start-dirsrv to work. That
>> eliminates the bind error after running start-ds-admin. I does NOT
>> however fix everything. Even when the base directory server is running
>> (checked with Luma), visiting the ds-admin index page
>>
>> http://tiny.justinzane.com:9830/admin-serv/tasks/configuration/HTMLAdmin?op=index
>> gives the following error in browser:
>>     NMC_Status: 1
>>     NMC_ErrType: System Error
>>     NMC_ErrInfo: Could not read from pipe
>>     NMC_ErrDetail: Could not read authentication information from pipe.
>> while nothing is printed in the admin-serv/error log.
>
> This is an upstream bug, currently under investigation:
> https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/307

Actually, it's probably not the same that I had. My test server had a
hostname of '389ds' and the admin server currently doesn't allow a digit
as the first character of a hostname.. it's still a bug but not what
you're seeing..

Anyway, check out the debug instructions I was given on the 389-users ml:

"In order to test htmladmin from the command line:
You must first install 389-admin and run setup-ds-admin.pl to set up a
DS and admin server.

Next, build adminserver from source with full debug symbols (i.e. use
CFLAGS="-g ..." not CFLAGS="-O2 -g ...".  I usually do something like this:

mkdir built ; cd built ; CFLAGS="-g" /path/to/adminsource/configure
--with-fhs --enable-debug .... ; make

Next, take a look at the source - there is a tests directory.  In this
directory is a file called setup.sh.  Edit this file to reflect your
environment.  You can also control:
which cgis to run
whether to use gdb or valgrind

from the built directory above, run setup.sh like this:

/path/to/adminsource/tests/setup.sh /path/to/adminsource/tests"

then get the backtrace.

ps. I installed a fresh KVM instance, added the ppa, apt-get installed
389-admin and ran setup-ds-admin using the express option. Things worked
OOTB here..