Re: Displaying accomplishments on a website

On 7 March 2012 15:09, Stuart Langridge <stuart.langridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have this idea in my head that someone's already working on a website
> which displays accomplishments that you've got. This is a cool idea, and one
> I'd love to see. I've also got some ideas about how it might actually work,
> so I thought I'd write them down :)

That someone is Robin, who has started working on a Django version. I
know Robin is busy so if someone else wants to help with this, do let
us know. :-)

> Jono's already written about the "matrix", the machine which signs
> accomplishments. That machine should run a web server with the
> accomplishments site on it. The beauty of that particular plan is... the
> matrix already has everyone's accomplishments! So, to display
> accomplishments for a particular person, all we need is for the website to
> know their Ubuntu identity, and then we know which accomplishments they've
> got. And, conveniently, letting people know your Ubuntu identity is what
> Ubuntu SSO (login.ubuntu.com) is for. Hooray! So, the site could be
> implemented very cheaply that way. Simply have it allow users to sign in
> with OpenID via login.ubuntu.com, and then present that user with (a) a web
> view of their accomplishments (displayed by looking in the folder that
> they've shared with the matrix), and (b) a tickbox somewhere saying "make
> these public". If they're marked public, then the website makes
> http://thewebsite/(user's Ubuntu identity) available as a URL showing their
> accomplishments... and we're done. Hooray, again!

This all makes perfect sense. This should be as simple as scanning the
user's trophy share and reading in the .trophy.asc files and
displaying them on a web page. As you say, we have everything in place
to do this.

> This is a sort of brain dump and therefore probably doesn't make a great
> deal of sense, but it's really to start a conversation about putting Ubuntu
> Accomplishments on the web in a verifiable way. Sounds like a fun project
> for someone :-)

Totally...would any Django folks be interested in helping with this?
Robin, are you still interested in helping with this?

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager