The Road To 0.1

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I just want to offer a big thank-you to everyone who has
joined this mailing list and who is happy to help in some way...be it
testing, development, documentation, or otherwise. It is wonderful to
see the contributions going on in the project!

On Monday I will be on vacation for ten days, although I will have
sporadic access to email while I am away. I will be checking in and
should be able to respond to discussions on this list.

While thinking about pre-vacation preparions, it got me thinking to
what needs to be done for us to release our first package that people
can use and I thought I would share some of this here. I think as a
team we can hit a 0.1 pretty soon. I am going to break this down into
the different sub-projects within the Ubuntu Accomplishments family.

 = Core Ubuntu Accomplishments System =

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-system

In terms of the core system, we are in pretty decent shape. People
have been testing and reporting generally positive experiences, and
most of the bugs that we have are fairly minor. There are however two
primary topics that I need to focus on to hit 0.1:

 * Make the daemon a twistd application - right now the daemon process
is not a real daemon (it needs to able to be started/stopped as a
system process). Fortunately, it looks like having it support twistd
will serve this purpose. Duncan started a blueprint at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-system/+spec/daemon-code-improvements,
but this needs expanding. I will reach out to Duncan to discuss this.
 * Deploy a production validation server - right now the validation
server is running on my netbook. I have put a request into Canonical's
IS for a server that I can use to set up a real deployable server.
I think both of these are achievable within a short timeframe.

= Ubuntu Community Accomplishments =

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-community-accomplishments

We are looking good here with a series of accomplishments that people
are able to use, but we primarily need further coverage here. Right
now we are lacking accomplishments in areas such as Documentation,
Translations, and certain development activities. This work simply
requires some launchpadlib experience.

I see two goals here to get this ready:

 * Provide an expanded set of accomplishments.
 * Improve the documentation on existing accompliments.

Speaking of documentation, this leads me on to...

= Accomplishments Web Editor =

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-web-editor

There has been wonderful progress going on with the web editor, and it
looks like the team are not far from having a a basic working cut of
the editor running. You can see who is working on what on the Trello
at https://trello.com/board/accomplishments-web-editor/4f5a4b509b82b2015433d4ad

My hunch is that a good first goal for the web editor project is a
system that can edit existing accomplishments in
lp:ubuntu-community-accomplishments, present these contributions in a
queue, and allow admins and moderators to review the queue and accept
contributions into the bzr branch.

When I get back I also plan on setting up a test instance of the web
editor project so the team have something for testing and that we can
use to find bugs.

= Accomplishments Lens =

https://launchpad.net/unity-lens-trophies

This is something that David has been working on. Currently it
displays accomplishments and provides a means for those
accomplishments to be filtered. I need to sync up with David to see
where things stand here and to see if there any blockers.

= Trophy Web View =

Robin started work on a web-based view on a person's accomplishments
(essentially an online trophy cabinet). I haven't checked with Robin
for a while on this; Robin, has there been any further progress on
this?

Thanks again for everyone who is participating, and do respond if you
want to discuss any of the topics here. I think if we can set our
sites on 0.1, we have the opportunity of releasing much of this pretty
soon. I am excited about the many ways in which these projects are
going to enrich the community experience in Ubuntu and elsewhere.

Thanks!

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon