Re: An idea concerning testing credentials for validity

On 15 April 2012 01:41, Rafał Cieślak <rafalcieslak256@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As such, I wonder if we can achieve this without using Python
>> specifically. Couldn't we just specify a regular expression that must
>> be matched to accept the data in the correct form. This way for each
>> needs-information file we just have validation_regex or something that
>> specifies the formatting required.
>>
>> Would that work?
>
> Note that this only solves the problem of formatting, and does not
> check whether the given data is correct; e.g. if given ubunruforums
> user actually exists, etc., any regex will not test that :)
> However, we may be approaching the conclusion that  #951224 "no
> warning when enter wrong email address" is invalid (note: this bug
> does not concern data format, it's reporter states the used an old
> e-mail adress, so I assume is would match the regex), as the
> application shall not check if the user actually uses his real
> credentials, and that he picked up the right username etc.

My personal view here is that we should mainly solve the problem of
formatting here; this will stop people adding invalid information.

I think that verifying if a particular credential exists on a service
is not really needed or if we do want to do this, we should only cover
the case of an account not existing - as you suggested we could add a
special error code for (user does not exist) so we can present to
clients that the user is not found. This would make sense to me.

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager