Re: progress in the web gallery project, a superb marketing tool for the Accomplishments System

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Janos Gyerik <janos.gyerik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Gabriel and myself have been hacking furiously on the web gallery, and now
> it can import trophies from the mounted shares and display user trophies.
> Check out these screenshots with dummy data:
> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7165399871_756a346d9e_b.jpg
> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/7165397721_2e440c0f1a_b.jpg
> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/7350610582_0ec4876080_b.jpg
>
> It's far from complete, but I believe the most difficult part is done to
> achieve the basic functionality, and building the rest of the critical
> features should be quite straightforward.
>
> Current features (including the many inherited from the web-editor):
> - Internal cache of all accomplishment opportunities
> - Internal cache of user trophies (gpg validation missing)
> - View trophies in detected browser language
> - View trophies of self
> - View trophies of any user
> - Login with Launchpad
> - Users can pick their username

This is absolutely wonderful progress! I am delighted to see the
project coming together so quickly. :-)

> Note here that the web gallery is not only for viewing the trophies achieved
> by yourself and other users, it is also useful for browsing the complete
> pool of accomplishment opportunities. And that in any OS, simply in any
> browser. By enabling easy visibility for the fruits of hard labor of the
> Accomplishments System, I think it's a killer marketing tool.

I agree! I think this is a wonderful way of demonstrating
contributions, but also for providing documentation for the
accomplishments online. :-)

> So if you like django and you've been hesitating whether to join or not in
> this effort, I have 3 words for you: "just do it"!
>
> As usual the task list is on Trello, and as usual, it represents a pretty
> rough plan, with plenty of room for flexibility and your very own
> improvement ideas:
> https://trello.com/board/accomplishments-web-gallery/4fc37826d4b78c516336198f

Thanks, folks, for the wonderful work! I look forward to further updates. :-)

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager