automatic updates of staging.trophies.ubuntu.com

Hi guys,

At today's meeting the topic of automated upgrades of the staging site came up.

Currently on http://213.138.100.229:8000/ I believe there is a cron
job that does a "bzr pull" every hour or so. Most of the time this is
fine. Most of the time this is all you need to upgrade the site to the
latest version and it works well.

However, occasionally, we make changes that require either a change in
the settings file, or some change in the database, or others. These
kind of things are not part of the source code, they are changes in
the runtime environment of the source code, and somebody has to do
them manually. For example:
- merge the updated settings.py.sample into settings.py
- import the gpg key of the validation server
- rearrange the checked out accomplishment branches, checkout the
ubuntu-desktop accomplishments
- run a django admin command to import django admin permission settings
- ...

And so on. These are "real" examples from real emails, asking Michael
Hall or somebody to do these steps. These kind of things cannot be
handled by "bzr pull", and if you do "bzr pull" without performing
such manual upgrade steps, the site can end up in a broken state until
a sysadmin intervenes to do it.

That said... I don't really anticipate upcoming changes in the near
future that would require manual steps. They are always rare. So...
let's just continue with the automatic upgrades for a while. If we
will continue to have manual steps too often, we can come back to
this.

Janos
--
Janos Gyerik