Re: Meeting summary - October 4th & our plan for next weeks

Hi all,

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Rafał Cieślak
<rafalcieslak256@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to share details concerning what was discussed on today's
> meeting. Only me and Matt were present, so we're looking for comments,
> especially from Jono, who may know things we are not aware of ;-)

Apologies I could join the meeting...it has been a *long* day! :-)

>  1. We decided that since the daemon is quite stable in current state,
> our work for 0.4/1.0 should focus on improving the viewer, which
> includes implementing a more beautiful 'showcase' design, code
> reorganization and cleanup.

Agreed: I think if we lock down the daemon and focus on usability
improvements, this makes most sense. Naturally we can fix bugs in the
viewer.

>  2. It's not clear if we're aiming for 0.4 or 1.0. With 1.0 released
> we guarantee we'll support it, while another 0. release gives us a bit
> more space to breath, and including new features that turn everything
> around won't be that much pain. On the other hand, we failed to find
> what else huge we may want to change soon.

My recommendation is that we shoot for a 0.4 release around February
and then we ship 1.0 ready for the release of 13.04. Does this make
sense to you folks?

>  3. For the next few weeks, it may be most wise to concentrate on
> planning for UDS.
>    * We need to either:
>      - Find an expert in GTK who wants to become a viewer developer.
>      - Find JavaScript/CSS expert(s) who want to become a viewer developer.
>      - Depending on who we find, the viewer will continue to feature
> GtkIconView based trophies browser (with a background etc), or we'll
> make heavier use of webkit and use it with interactive JavaScript to
> display trophies collection

My recommendation is that we stick with GTK for now and find someone
to create the wood view: other than this, the GTK implementation seems
to satisfy our needs.

Rafal, would you mind registering blueprints for features we want to
build in 0.4/1.0 - Michael can help with this. Let us know when you
have these registered.

>    * We need to plan the blueprints concerning UAS.
>      - A rumor claims that Michael Hall is doing a session on server
> and online gallery.

Michael has put this into a single blueprint, but more than one
session could be added if needed. He will follow up with the blueprint
name.

>      - We'll need a viewer-oriented blueprint: fixes, technologies,
> features and design.

As discussed, Rafal, could you register a session for this?

>      - We'll also need a session where we might brainstorm ideas on
> how we can improve the default accoms collections. I'll try gathering
> the feedback we get from others on a wiki page to sum up what the main
> concerns are.

This sounds great, maybe we could do some user testing around this? I
will look into setting this up.

>    * When decided on that, we'll reach out and ask interested to
> participate. Of course everyone is very welcome, as every idea counts.

Sounds great, thanks for putting together this work. I think it would
be cool to have another round of outreach and getting folks involved.
Let's use UDS as an opportunity to encourage the training of
accomplishments authors.

> Please share your comments, we will be happy to update our plan having
> considered your ideas!

This all sounds wonderful, thanks! So the core goals for the next cycle will be:

 * 0.4 Release in Feb:
  - Refine Trophies View
  - Wooden Cabinet
  - Growth in Accomplishments
  - Publishing to trophies.ubuntu.com (Michael Hall will take care of
the server and web gallery deployment)
 * 1.0 Release in May:
  - No new features - quality only release.
  - Packaged and available in the Ubuntu Software Center ready for 13.04.

I have created https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/UDS/R/Blueprints
to track the blueprints for this work - Mike is going to add his
blueprints there, could everyone else put their blueprints there too.

Thanks!

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon