Re: beginner questions

Hello Jasna,

Here goes my explanation. If anyone else has something to add, you are
welcome to!

Some accomplishments require to be validated by an external server.
You won't get them just once the daemon that runs on your desktop
detects a trophy, they are sent to a validation server, which signs
them only if you actually deserve them. At this moment, we have two
validation servers in use, we call them 'staging' and 'production'
servers. Both are run on Jono's machine. The 'production' server is
the one used by Accomplishments by default, it's the one that uses
stable releases of accomplishment collections etc, so most users have
their trophies signed by this one. The 'staging' server is the one
that we use for testing new features, and it's meant to be used only
by developers and testers.

Currently we are moving these servers to Canonical infrastructure. So
instead of being run on a server owned by Jono, they will run on a
machine that is maintained by Canonical. You will know that it's done
once we start boasting about trophies.ubuntu.com domain, which soon
should feature an online trophies gallery, synchronised with these
validation servers. And that's the process of deployment: we are
deploying our services on Canonical servers.
Canonical IS - that's the team responsible for managing Canonical
infrastructure, servers etc. We are cooperating with them currently a
lot, as they are the ones who can put our servers on Canonical
machines.

  UCA = Ubuntu Community Accomplishments collection.
It's one of common abbreviations we use. Others you may find are:
  UDA = Ubuntu Desktop Accomplishments collection
  accom, accomp, acc = accomplishment
  opp = oppotunity (an accomplishment that wasn't yet awarded)

I realise this may be confusing at first sight, but I hope it's now clear.

Rafał Cieślak