Using video to put a face on Ubuntu

Hello, everyone!  I'm a tad confused about the scope and exact goals
of this team, so hopefully this is basically on topic...

I'd love to see more video capturing the *people* behind Ubuntu.  If
you search for "ubuntu" on places like vimeo, youtube, you get almost
all screencasts (which are important, not saying there should be
fewer).  But I think if people ask themselves why they participate in
Ubuntu, "software" probably isn't the first thing that comes to
mind... they participate because free software is really about a bunch
of cool, fun people doing something they love.

The Novacut team shot a ton of CC-licensed video at UDS specifically
hoping that it would get edited into some great commercials that
capture the human side of Ubuntu.  We shot sessions and did a bunch of
interviews, but my favorite video is the stuff shot during the Ubuntu
Allstars Jam because it had *nothing* to do with software, everything
to do with the people.  We already published 56 CC-licensed 1080p
clips from the Jam:

http://cdn.novacut.com/EditForGraners.xhtml

We'll get the rest up in the next few months (we've been busy with
other things, plus it's over 400GBs of video to sift through).

Anyway, this kind of video can obviously help interest people in
participating in Ubuntu.  This was our first UDS, and one thing we
kept saying over and over was, "Everyone is so freakin' nice!"  The
feeling of being at UDS was amazing.  People worked hard, played hard,
and everyone was super nice and welcoming.  It's probably impossible
to truly capture this experience short of being there, but I think
video can come the closest.

I also have a hunch that this kind of video can help interest people
in *using* Ubuntu.  This is an engaging story.  It's something you
want to be part of.  But this isn't manufactured cool... this actually
happens, is real.  This is the kind of candid,
wearing-your-heart-on-your-sleeve that can build lasting trust,
reputation.  This is also a story highly unique to free software.  We
should take advantage of it.

Cheers,
Jason

Follow ups