Re: Target-market.

On 26/12/10 17:09, danteashton@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Aim for the more technical users, and bombard them with news of Ubuntu on
sites, magazines, podcasts, etc. And practically every problem we're likely
to encounter will solve itself; these techie users can assist their
non-techie friends.

In the context of a computer fair that I display at, the attenders are largely DIY Windows competent, and attend with Windows in mind.

In the last two years I have noticed that an increasing proportion of attenders have heard of Linux or Ubuntu, and a few of these come and talk to me. Most attenders show no interest. However, it is getting unlikely that someone who does approach me, will ask 'Can I run this in Windows?' or 'What is this, what does it do?' Such questions are rare, now, but do occasionally happen. Most who come to my display now say 'How do I get started?' 'I am fed up with Windows' 'I have a spare PC can I use it?' This is a small proportion of attenders, but it indicates to me that those Windows-only users who are motivated to seek change already are Ubuntu aware, however they need (and seek) initial reassurance and support. In my case they seek it face to face, which is interesting because there is a lot of online support. Yet most do not seem to have seriously used that. Perhaps it is confusing to them, I am not sure. This is a real but small population of Windows users who are poised to begin their Ubuntu journey, but lack a final push...... If we push in that direction we push at an open door.

I see more Linux magazines on shelves than ever before, and I see more media comment and my guess is that around 20%, maybe more, of the computer fair attenders are already aware of Ubuntu or Linux, but disregard it as 'not for them'. I see this population as fertile ground. There are maybe three stages in the sales process from informing a cold market , continuing and creating interest and familiarity, through to commitment and closing the deal. I see these as being in the second stage. With advertsising targetted to them, some will seek to try Ubuntu, others will pose questions to their friends and maybe shops, hopefully changing the status quo of expectations. I mix with PC traders at the computer fairs. When asked about providing Ubuntu on his PCs, one said in effect: 'I use Linux myself, but if customers want Windows, I am happy to supply it, and that includes later a 50 (UK) ponds to clean the system up!' So a movement in fringe opinion will cause, in turn, a movement in some of the retail supply. Advertising in this target area will change the balance in the chicken and egg problem in the supply vs demand balance. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Well, demand came first I believe. Advertising will change demand, create demand, in people who would not normally repartition a hard drive for themselves.

At the extreme end of this spectrum are committed Windows professionals who have a strong vested interest in keeping their flock in the Windows corral. This includes the Education profession. And Includes the small shops whose owners actively persuade new Ubuntu users away from Ubuntu and back into Windows 'If you cannot cope with Windows, then Linux is not for you'. My comment to them when I am passing is that Ubuntu is not the same as 'Linux' and by saying such things to potential Ubuntu users is *loosing* them *business*, Ubuntu business, which they could reap at the *same* time as Windows business - dual boot installations.

The problem I see with aiming at the technical users is that Ubuntu is ideal for newcomers as long as they do *not* have to install it themselves. And a technically aimed advert may confirm existing propaganda that Linux is only for geeks, not the millions of ordinary people.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user