Re: Compatibility ...

Hi!

The problem is that most hardware "just work" in Windows because
manufacturers write drivers specifically for it. That's not the case for
Ubuntu, where drivers are often written by programmers who are doing this on
their free time, don't get paid and usually have to find everything out by
themselves, on a trial/error basis. It's really hard.

I guess the reason most manufacturers don't give a damn about Ubuntu and
Linux in general is because there's this general idea that it's used by less
than 1%. So they see this as a waste of ressources and time.

Sadly, it's also the reason why people shy away from Ubuntu. The same
reasoning goes for games and game developers.

So what can we do? Support programmers who write open-source drivers. What
could Cannonical do? Make partnerships with manufacturers to improve Ubuntu
support.

Regards,
Tarek.