Re: Compatibility ...

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 17:31 -0200, Tarek Said wrote:

> I guess the reason most manufacturers don't give a damn about Ubuntu
> and Linux in general is because there's this general idea that it's
> used by less than 1%. So they see this as a waste of ressources and
> time.

This is changing.  Brother have a lot of information about Linux on
their website and they supply proprietary drivers for many of their
printers.  A few peripherals manufacturers are starting to put a Penguin
on the box.  When you see one such, please report back.  I'll have to
walk around PC World and Currys and take a look around.  It's been a
while.  But it is this kind of information we need to gather.  What does
work 'out of the box' and what doesn't.

So far I've had a couple of HP printers, a Lexmark and an Epson work
straight out of the box.  The Brother was a pain to install even with
the proprietary drivers, but it works just fine.

Manufacturers are beginning to realise that they have to take Linux
seriously, but progress is still slow.

Regards,		Barry Drake.

--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!