Last night's meeting ....

I know we decided that it is not yet time to seek sponsorship, but
rather than leave it entirely on the back burner, I do think we ought to
be making a list of potential sponsors.  The criteria are that potential
sponsors need to be part of the commercial sector and have something
very real to gain from heightened awareness of Ubuntu.  These will
include computer manufacturers and suppliers.  Dell was suggested, as
was ElpaTech.  Another possibility might be Linux Emporium.  A look
through Canonical partners and Ubuntu Marketplace suppliers should give
a whole lot more ideas.  And not forgetting Canonical.  They should be
willing to provide generous sponsorship as Canonical possibly has the
most to gain from this effort.

Will you consider joining in making a list of those we intend to
approach so that as soon as we are ready we can get this on the road?
Maybe this can go on the agenda for the 15th.

Secondly the issue of 'training' ought to be considered at the next
meeting.  Currently, Canonical have this in the training programme:

"Ubuntu Desktop - Coming soon
This course is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and aims to train new users of
Ubuntu on how to use key applications including mainstream office
applications, Internet connectivity and browsing, graphic art tools,
multi-media and music.

After completing this course, you will be able to:
Understand the concepts of open source and how they tie in with Ubuntu
Customise the look and feel of the Ubuntu desktop
Navigate through the file system and search for files
Connect to and use the Internet
Perform basic word-processing and spreadsheet functions using
OpenOffice.org"

Note the 'Coming Soon'.  I'm sure we could write an online course with
regular (weekly) IRC support sessions.  There are enough of us to take
this one on board ...  Can we think about this and put it on the agenda
for the next meeting?

While on the Canonical site, I noticed that Great Ormond Street Hospital
has upgraded to Ubuntu.  GOSH enjoys such a high public profile in the
UK that we could make use of this fact in our publicity.

Regards,		Barry Drake.
--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!

Follow ups