Tonight's meeting .....

All being well, I'll see some of you at tonight's meeting if I'm not too
knackered.  I do have a couple of concerns I'd like you to think about.

1) I know a lot has been said about Unity both here and elsewhere.
Personally what I've seen of it has real potential.  BUT I really think
it might not be up to scratch by release date.  This has been brought
home to me because it actually is broken on my box after the latest
updates.  I've reported it as a bug of course, but it bothers me that we
might be advertising a product released prematurely with a severe
problem.  If Canonical get this wrong and we succeed in the advertising
work, we could set Ubuntu back years!

2) On the installation slideshow, one slide tells us that it supports
cameras using two wonderful apps - Shotwell and PiTiVi.  Shotwell is
fine, but PiTiVi, while being a lovely video editor does NOT support
cameras at all - it currently has no video capture facility unless there
is an Alpha or Beta somewhere with capture included  If so, I have not
yet found it.  If I am right about this, Kino needs to be included in
the release.

What I am saying is that we should maybe think about delaying any
serious advertising long enough after the April release date to see
whether we have a product that is up to general trouble free use.

I don't think I'm being overcautious here ...  but I really want to see
this year being the year when Ubuntu took off and not the year that
killed Ubuntu off.

Regards,		Barry Drake.
(Who doesn't seem to have a hangover, but is tired).