The future of computing...

In advertising, like in many fields; it helps if you know where the future
leads. So I thought I'd drop everyone a hint.

In Ubuntu, that leads to Unity and Wayland. but what about 'after' that?
Before I found Linux, I fell in love with Artificial Intelligence research,
and i learnt a lot there.

Let me teach you something;

Almost 10 years ago; DARPA (the US's government research branch) worked with
SRI to start Project CALO.
CALO stands for Cognitive Assistant that Learns and Organizes.
CALO was an immense success.
CALO gave rise to a company (and program) called Siri.
Siri is capable of magic.
Apple now own Siri.
Siri have been very quiet since being bought.

This tells me one thing; Apple are going to do it again, very soon; the same
thing they did with the iPod, and the iPhone...and to a lesser extent, the
iPad.

But they're going to do it with AI.

Go and look up Project CALO, and what it was capable of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CALO

Magic then, and still magic now.

Apple deal with magic.

And we have nothing to defend against that.

KDE has NEPOMUK, but thats hardly used in the way it should be, and the
GNOME world has Zietergist (which is a laughable toy in comparison to CALO)
We don't even have a damn grammar checker in our major office suite.

I've been telling the F/OSS world for years that A.I. is important, and it's
only going to get even more so.

No one listened...

--

-Danté Ashton