Re: Research required ...

For tonight's meeting:

I promised a report from a Windows user who is highly IT literate - but
Windows only.  I'm going to meet her at my sister's next time she is
there so she can show me what she is doing with the USB and CD's.  My
pendrive worked 'out-of-the-box' as did CD's and DVD's.

Pleas take particular note about her googling for answers.  We HAVE to
look carefully at that.  I've had the same comment from everybody who
has done that.  She always knew that Linux is only for geeks.  This
seems to have proved it!  Here tiz:

"Firstly with regards to Ubuntu, having only ever worked off Microsoft
systems I have found Ubuntu less 'user friendly' - this I imagine is due
to the fact that I (like many others) have never used anything other
than Microsoft. However I have found the word processing, and
spreadsheet programmes like for like with Word and Excel - it just takes
some time to navigate around and get to grips - but they are accessible.
My main frustration is around using CD's, USB's etc - I find Microsoft
very easy to use when pulling data off USB's but with Ubuntu nothing I
have found seems to 'plug and play' - no guidance appears - so I resort
to 'googling' only to find forums with technical speak which I don't
always understand.

The manuals to support Ubuntu need to be written in a more accessible
way - screen shots would be useful - they need to be more accessible.
Generally Ubuntu appears to run a lot faster than Microsoft - the
'office' programmes are comparable, but I feel you do need to be
technically savvy to use Ubuntu above and beyond emails and word
processing. My main recommendation would be that Ubuntu needs to be more
user friendly and I feel on-line integrated guidance would be most
helpful! Alex"

Regards,		Barry.
--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!