Re: Research required ...

2011/1/15 Barry Drake <b.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> For tonight's meeting:
>
> I promised a report from a Windows user who is highly IT literate - but
> Windows only.  I'm going to meet her at my sister's next time she is
> there so she can show me what she is doing with the USB and CD's.  My
> pendrive worked 'out-of-the-box' as did CD's and DVD's.
>
> Pleas take particular note about her googling for answers.  We HAVE to
> look carefully at that.  I've had the same comment from everybody who
> has done that.  She always knew that Linux is only for geeks.  This
> seems to have proved it!  Here tiz:
>
> "Firstly with regards to Ubuntu, having only ever worked off Microsoft
> systems I have found Ubuntu less 'user friendly' - this I imagine is due
> to the fact that I (like many others) have never used anything other
> than Microsoft. However I have found the word processing, and
> spreadsheet programmes like for like with Word and Excel - it just takes
> some time to navigate around and get to grips - but they are accessible.
> My main frustration is around using CD's, USB's etc - I find Microsoft
> very easy to use when pulling data off USB's but with Ubuntu nothing I
> have found seems to 'plug and play' - no guidance appears - so I resort
> to 'googling' only to find forums with technical speak which I don't
> always understand.
>

> The manuals to support Ubuntu need to be written in a more accessible
> way - screen shots would be useful - they need to be more accessible.
> Generally Ubuntu appears to run a lot faster than Microsoft - the
> 'office' programmes are comparable, but I feel you do need to be
> technically savvy to use Ubuntu above and beyond emails and word
> processing. My main recommendation would be that Ubuntu needs to be more
> user friendly and I feel on-line integrated guidance would be most
> helpful! Alex"
>

> Regards,                Barry.
> --
> What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
> ...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!

Exactly for those kinds of reasons we have the ubuntu-manual
and are we developing stuff like ubuntu-tour.
Linux can be not so user friendly, but ubuntu is certainly changing that.

I must agree on the usb stick and the (deliberate) lack of auto-run.
but that is something people can get used to.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Keimpe de Jong (UndiFineD)