Re: The weight of words ....

On 15/01/11 13:22, Barry Drake wrote:
I was at a conference for part of this week.  It was not about
advertising, computers or anything connected, but I did get involved in
a discussion concerning the words we use in communicating concepts.

I'm giving a few examples that are relevant and suggesting that we
explore more along these lines.  I've given each a + or a -.

Change = -  Alternatives: Transition, Upgrade.  (note that when you
change from Windows XP to Windows 7 it is an 'upgrade'.  The fact that
some of your peripherals will no longer work, and that there are huge
differences is not 'Change').

Simple +
Freedom +
Computer -
PC +

It might be good to list these and a whole lot more on a doodlepad, but
when we are writing scripts or flyers etc. it would be good to
discipline ourselves to weigh and score each verb and noun.

Yes indeed and understood. My own experience is that

Linux is double negative - -
'Ubuntu' is often an unknown word and invites some curiosity.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user