Re: Fantastic Ubuntu support ....

2011/2/18 alan c <aeclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 16/02/11 01:30, UndiFineD wrote:
>>
>> 2011/2/15 Hakim Sheriff<hakimsheriff@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>>  We can tell new users to get support on the #ubuntu-beginners channel on
>>>  freenode. I am in the Ubuntu beginners support focus group and there is
>>>  always someone to answer questions on that channel.

>> The few support people Ubuntu-beginners has are often beginners at
>> giving support
>> We do however tend to have more time on our hands available to a
>> person that needs support.
>> Those of UBT that want to do more on giving support are often caught
>> in the web of #ubuntu
>> and on the ubuntu forums.
>>
>> Personally I prefer if people would go to #ubuntu as our main support
>> channel.
>> The support givers there know of #ubuntu-beginners
>> and what knowledge the people have there because of cross-team knowledge.
>>

> I have been using Ubuntu only, for years and have used ubuntuforums very
> well to get and give help.
>
> I have occasionally used IRC for meetings, and on very rare occasions, for
> help.
>
> I still find IRC bewildering to an extent, and however easy it is once
> familiarity is gained, I suggest that Mr and Mrs newUbuntuuser will avoid it
> like a plague.
>
> Most of the Ubuntu newcomers I have personally helped with deliverance do
> not even feel comfortable with ubuntuforums!
>
> If it is an objective to encourage a view that Ubuntu is for a wider user
> group then giving IRC a high profile will, I believe, be directly
> counterproductive.
>
> It will also be a free gift to our opposition, which will increase as Ubuntu
> gets widely used, who include a view that Linux is only for geeks, not real
> people.
> --
> alan cocks
> Ubuntu user

Very true indeed Barry,
Last UDS it was estimated that Ubuntu has 12 million users.
at that time only 1200 people were present in #Ubuntu

Today there are at times 1800 users in #Ubuntu
if this would correlate to the total number of users

We could have some 18 million users ... or more
but this is not true, when there are more than a 1000 users
in such a high traffic channel, people come and go,
as it simply is too crowded for them.

Now other means of communication.
This would be the WWW, forums, wikis, blog posts
Personally I dislike a forum, but it seems to do well for a lot of users.
I prefer a wiki / blog post over a forum, because more attention
can be given to a full solution. and IRC is then available for your
quick issues,
often caught by proper factoid bots.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,