Re: Successfully targeting Advertisementat new Ubuntu users

On 11/05/11 22:09, UndiFineD wrote:
Hello Jono,

As we discussed today in the Q&A with Mark:

<UndiFineD>  Question: How does Mark think we can attract 200 mil users
? we need 33 mil this year
<UndiFineD>  Question: Does the loco directory collect figures and make
predictions on the amount of users we have ?
<cjohnston|uds>  UndiFineD: no
<NewProggie>  QUESTION: Are there any news about collaboration with
hardware manufactures, because in my mind there's no chance of
reaching 200 mio users, if I won't be able to go and just buy myself a
computer with ubuntu preinstalled on it
<davidcalle>  http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-o/meeting/other-o-sabdfl-community-qa/
<UndiFineD>  QUESTION: If Compatibility is the strongest message we can
convey to Windows and Mac users to help them switch, what are we going
to do for that?
<jono>  UndiFineD, off-topic, but we are keen to optimize Ubuntu in the
future to help people switch from Windows
<jono>  with Wubi

Unfortunately because WUBI installations were and maybe still are (?) corrupted by some grub updates I stopped recommending it. I will be most reluctant to begin recommending it again until I am sure that normal updates play nice with it. I am not aware that it is ok yet.

Wubi is a great idea for newcomers who may have not got any skills to get Ubuntu online support and who have only ever installed Windows programs with no partitioning knowledge etc. However, it is paramount that normal updates do not mess them up.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user