Ubuntu short talk at Africa London Event

Yesterday I gave a short talk at the London event of 'Africa Gathering', an organisation which: 'provides a space to bring technophiles, thinkers, entrepreneurs, innovators and everybody else together to talk about positive change in sustainable development, technology, social networking, health, education, environment and good governance in Africa'

The event was at the Guardian News & Media, Kings Place, London. 120 or so people attended.

A show of hands indicated that about a quarter were already aware they were using Ubuntu or similar, and about two thirds were using some free software (such as Firefox) somewhere. The media ecosystem is of course a bit Mac rich.

My talk was a short sharp 5 minutes (timed!!) slot. In a slot like this there is time only for carefully chosen words, and I aimed to make it interesting, informative and revealing.

For your information the content is copied below:

'Africa Gathering' Talk, Ubuntu, 5 minutes

Ubuntu is an African word, a philosophy, it means (roughly speaking) 'Humanity to others'. Nelson Mandela said of Ubuntu - a travelling stranger would be given food and water naturally, without having to ask for it. He said this is part of what Ubuntu means.

Since 2004 - Ubuntu has also been - An African solution for computers. African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth, made millions of pounds using 'Libre software', Free software. He said he could only have done it with Libre software. He created Ubuntu to give something back to the Libre software community. His company, Canonical, sponsors Ubuntu. It is free of charge. (Companies make money from Libre software by selling services, not selling software)

I use Ubuntu, and so do my friends and family use Ubuntu on their computers. I help a local charity, they now use Ubuntu. If people want to use Ubuntu I help them.

'Ubuntu' runs on your computer. It is an operating system for your computer. It can be a new computer, or a recycled computer. Maybe even an incomplete computer - one without even a 'hard drive' - Ubuntu will still work!

It is excellent software. I have used it for 6 years. It may be gratis, (free of cost), but most important, "Libre Software" is free of restriction in use! Free of restrictions in examining the code! Free of restrictions in making your own version! Free of restrictions in copying! It is created by the Community, for the world, in the spirit of Ubuntu! It is free software, yet it is copyrighted 'OPEN'.

Are you surprised it is not in the shops? . . . . . When did shops sell 'Community'?

It is changing people's lives inside and outside Africa!
It changed my life. I now love to use my computer. It is fast and secure, I love the community support, and I contribute to it when I can. I love the Ubuntu philosophy, and I love to use this with my computer.

For business: value can be created locally - it can be created in Berkshire (UK) where I live, or created in Africa where Ubuntu was born.

The OPEN code is freely shared - this is very good for the community - worldwide - and local community, anywhere it is used. It helps to create a sharing, caring community. Using and helping with Ubuntu, you gain from your own actions, AND you gain from the community! You are part of the community. A Win-Win. Companies freely contribute code because they get more back from the community than they spend.

The OPEN CODE allows  Local Opportunities:
self education from examining the code, skills in computers, encouraged from strong community support. It allows local support to develop, and importantly allows local services to be created - This all brings local value, encourages local entrepreneurs, and produces local prosperity.

Ubuntu has about 20 million users worldwide and it is growing fast. It changed my life. It can change yours too.

It can help change Africa's future.

 African software for Africa!

 Ubuntu!

In time there may also be web content from the event

Links:
http://www.africagathering.org/events/africa-gathering-london-2011/programme
http://www.africagathering.org/events/africa-gathering-london-2011

I note that my photo and bio are not appearing on the site, I am told that this is probably due to admin overpressure more than anything else.

--
Ubuntu user #10391
Linux user #360648

Follow ups