Campaign updates and some new help coming soon

Hi,

It's been a while since I sent out an update and since we had an
organized team meeting... but things have been moving forward.

= Campaign 1: Educating Windows users in understanding what Ubuntu could
mean for them =
Just as a refresher, the goal is to develop adverts that will reach
Windows users and entice them to take Ubuntu for a test drive.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuAdverts/Campaigns/education

For the first advert, Ismail and his team are plugging away at
developing the game (between work and school I believe). It will be an
event-type game rooted in a space theme where participants will follow
clues placed on various websites. A launch target hasn't been set yet
for the game.

= Campaign 2: Ubuntu is Easy =
This campaign is a compliment to Campaign 1. The goal is to help Windows
users that are testing out Ubuntu to easily get up and running quickly.

The brief is located on the Ubuntu wiki.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuAdverts/Campaigns/UbuntuIsEasy
It's basically done but I might make some tweaks.

The next step is to organize into small teams and come up with ideas for
adverts to support the campaign. I was going to contact some advertising
trade schools (called 'portfolio schools') to look for creative help on
developing adverts before holding this briefing session.
To see what a creative briefing is like, here are notes from the
Campaign 1 briefing:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuAdverts/Meetings/2011-03-05

I wasn't able to recruit any students from the schools to help with
Campaign 2 immediately. But I do have great news on this front...

= Creative support coming soon =
One of the portfolio schools I contacted, The Portfolio Center
(http://www.portfoliocenter.edu/) would like to organize a class for
their Fall quarter (starting in October) around promoting Ubuntu. The
class would comprise a mix of copy writers, designers, art directors and
perhaps even photographers and illustrators. Students would be broken up
into teams to work on advert ideas for various campaigns - our 2
campaigns so far and perhaps some other ideas we can come up with.

I'm going to have a call with the school next week to discuss the
details like the timeline and what resources this team, and perhaps
Canonical, would need to provide. Where I believe we can help the most
is with our user research. I think most of us enjoy doing this stuff
anyway so it's a good fit.

After I chat with the school next week, I'll get back to Ubuntu Adverts
team on what we'll need to provide the students to support their
campaign work. I'd prefer that we wait on moving forward with Campaign 2
until the students can get involved. Also with the students being
involved, it shouldn't prevent other community members from developing
their own adverts. In fact, hopefully the students can teach us a thing
or two :) So I recommend that we start the creative work for Campaign 2
with the students and the community in October.

In the meantime, there's probably some work that we can do to prepare
for the students like research and writing campaign briefs but, again,
I'll have more details on those needs next week.

Just wanted to share an update on the campaigns and the good news that
we're going to get more creative support very soon.

Best,
Matt

Follow ups