Server-side plan

Hi all!

Kicking off this mailing list, I'd like to let everyone know what our
current plan is to deliver the server-side piece of click packages.
High-level, we're aiming to:

- Add a new form to the current MyApps web ui[1] with the most basic
fields possible so people can start uploading click packages
- Bring up a new service to provide downloads of these new packages
(that will be stored in Swift, for the curious), and will not
authenticate requests at all, so it will only provide free (gratis)
apps
- Bring up a new solr instance, that will be directly available to
query from clients. It will contain only public data

All of those while we prioritise having fake api's for the client team
to be able to start work on the UI pieces now (led by Roberto Alsina).

With those 3 pieces, we should have the absolute barebones version of
the click packages appstore. The target date for this is "before July
23rd".

Once we have this up and running, we will focus on authenticating
downloads so we can allow commercial apps, and then polish until
14.04.
Polish will mean a lot of things, improving some of the shortcuts we
will take to get this up faster, adding new fields to better match
business and legal requirements, be able to extract metadata from the
package's manifest file, enforcing namespaces, doing some basic sanity
checking of what's uploaded, etc.

As for who to talk to about very specific technical details, these are
the people who will actually be doing the work:

- Ricardo Kirkner & Matias Bordese are tackling Software Center
web/agent/server (with a little help from Jonas Drange)
- James Tait is tackling on the search api (solr)
- James Westby and Sidnei Da Silva are tackling the download/upload
server (re-using U1's updown service)
- Michael Nelson is juju-izing most of the services, as well as
providing guidance in Software Center and solr work
- Vincent Ladeuil is helping us from day 1 on getting our testing story in order

Please let me know if you have any concerns about this plan, both in
how it's being executed as well as target dates.

[1] https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/

--
Martin

Follow ups