Re: Server-side plan

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Martin Albisetti <
martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Kicking off this mailing list, I'd like to let everyone know what our
> current plan is to deliver the server-side piece of click packages.
> High-level, we're aiming to:
>
> - Add a new form to the current MyApps web ui[1] with the most basic
> fields possible so people can start uploading click packages
> - Bring up a new service to provide downloads of these new packages
> (that will be stored in Swift, for the curious), and will not
> authenticate requests at all, so it will only provide free (gratis)
> apps
> - Bring up a new solr instance, that will be directly available to
> query from clients. It will contain only public data

Using the solr query syntax is great, but I'm not sure that it's a good
idea to ever expose the solr instance publicly. I'd think we should instead
initially have a simple proxy which does very little filtering to a
firewalled solr instance [1]?

[1] The security link: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrSecurity includes a
link to some example proxies - the php demoing a simple proxy that retains
the query syntax. u1 music search's cerati is an example of a proxy that
doesn't retain the solr query syntax.

That'll enable us not only to gradually add filters and only allow certain
queries through, but also to later add other index api functionality that
may not be based on solr query syntax. If there's someone with solr
experience, please chip in :)

-Michael