Re: Click Package Index Status

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 04:57:18PM +0100, James Tait wrote:
> On 05/06/13 16:36, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM, James Tait
> > <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> click_version: string (searchable, retrievable) # '0.1'
> >> click_framework: string (searchable, retrievable) #
> >> 'ubuntu-sdk-13.10' click_updown_url: url (retrievable)
> >> countries_to_distribute: string (searchable, multi-value)
> >
> > So, I realised that we may want to also have "SDK version", which
> > is really what the client can use to figure out what's installable
> > or not.
>
> Separate from click_framework?  I probably don't really know enough
> about the specifics of the client, but I'd imagine they'd be aware of
> what frameworks they support.

Something in the SDK will install a file in
/usr/share/click-package/frameworks/ so that click-package knows that
the framework is available.  Click-Framework is indeed intended to cover
the SDK version, as in the example of "ubuntu-sdk-13.10" above.

> This does raise a couple of interesting questions though, which I
> forgot in my previous mail - will Click packages target a single SDK
> and version, or will they be able to support multiple versions of
> multiple SDKs?  What about the clients?

https://click-package.readthedocs.org/en/latest/file-format.html#control-area
covers this, I believe.

> If packages can target multiple (SDK, version) combinations, we should
> make click_framework multiValued. If clients can support multiple
> frameworks, they can issue a query along the lines of
> "q=click_framework(ubuntu-sdk-13.10 OR ubuntu-sdk-14.04)".

You should design the server side such that you can easily expand this
way in future.  AFAIK for 13.10 we only expect to require a single
framework name.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]