Re: Letting developers install "3rd party" packages

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Marc Deslauriers
<marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13-06-12 02:09 PM, John Pugh wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Marc Deslauriers
>> <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Putting an untrusted app on your device is #3. In what way is it a hybrid?
>>>
>>> Marc.
>>
>> Untrusted to you may not be untrusted to me. If I want to install
>> something, I will find a way. I was suggesting that it should be a
>> little more difficult than "click xx times on xx to enable developer
>> mode" and a little less daunting than rendering the device
>> "jailbroken". Developers need to test on real devices (since it's
>> currently the only way) and some users will want full control to do
>> what they please. A equal balance of the two is my suggestion.
>>

> So we should make #3 harder? Perhaps require the device owner to tether
> the device and run a tool? I'm not sure what that ultimately
> changes...as you said, if you want to install an unsigned app, you'll do
> it, so I don't see what the advantage is compared to simply clicking a
> checkbox in the system settings somewhere.
>
> The important thing with #3 is that the device owner is properly
> informed of the malware risks inherent in disabling the signature
> checks, and is making a conscious decision by doing so.

Why would we make #3 harder?
It sounds to me like if users want to use apps from outside the store,
as long as they've explicitly said so, they should be able to easily.
Tethering whatever makes it impossible for anyone that isn't a
developer to use it, and it's a disadvantage vs Android or iOS +
TestFlight.

I don't see what it gains us?

--
Martin