Re: Removing apps from device if malicious

On 13-06-12 12:00 PM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> an interesting question came up earlier: how are we going to deal with
> malicious apps on a device once they're discovered? In the app store
> they can simply be removed, but it might be worth doing something like
> at least shipping an empty package to replace the content on the device.
>
> Thoughts?

In the archive, we've shipped enpty packages before to forcibly remove
stuff that we can no longer maintain, but this is less than ideal.

Ideally, the app store package directory would allow us to flag an
application for removal, along with a status code or a text to be
displayed when the user attempts to run an app that's been removed.

Perhaps we could even have two levels, one that completely removes the
app, including the launcher, and a second level that leaves the
launcher, but clicking on it displays a dialog box to the user
explaining why the app is no longer available.

Marc.