Re: Letting developers install "3rd party" packages

On 06/12/2013 04:25 PM, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Marc Deslauriers
> <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure some carriers will force us to remove option #3, and
>> some movie providers will force us to disable DRM when #3 is used.
>
> Why?
> On Android that's only the case if you root the device, where apps can
> go beyond their confinement. Installing unrestricted confined apps
> shouldn't affect DRM, right?

This is actually an interesting question. Consider that:

 * click packages must have a manifest file to successfully
   install
 * the manifest file must define valid security accesses to
   successfully install

I think Martin's point (and one I've heard echoed elsewhere) is that if
both of the above work correctly, the worst an unsigned app can do is be
installed with the widest permission set that we allow. The argument
goes that those permissions won't include access to ~/.gnupg or direct
access to ~/Videos, so the app can't attack the whole system or upload
one's movie collection.

In a lot of ways, this is a valid argument because we will define our
policy for the APIs we expose around SDK-apps such that the app review
process can likely be highly-automated. This will work well enough in
the short term since click packages will initially only use these APIs.

The problem comes when we are trying to ship click packages for things
not developed with the Ubuntu SDK. Eg, thinking about the converged
device, if we ever try to ship LibreOffice as a click package, it is
likely going to need different types of access than our pre-defined
policy will provide. The security accesses in the manifest file may need
to be extended in such a way as to provide wider access (eg, read/write
access to large portions of $HOME). On upload to our appstore, we can
flag packages with these extended access permissions for manual review
before making them available in our trusted appstore just fine. The
problem comes in that if the security manifest file allows for this
flexibility and the user disables hash verification it necessarily means
that when the user installs a click package from outside the trusted
appstore, the security manifest could specify very lenient permissions
such that the application effectually runs unconfined (ie, it is able to
upload the user's entire movie collection to some server).