Re: Summary of my understandings

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 18:07 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:01:08PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > >
> > > You must not rely on this directory.  It may change, particularly to
> > > support things like non-removable preinstalled apps in the system
> > > partition, or other cases of OEM apps.
> >
> > Will there be a way to look up the directory for a particular package
> > then?  How should I find where it is installed?
>
> Depends what you need to do.  The right thing will normally be to look
> up the directory on a per-user basis, so for a given user you can ask
> "where is my installation of <package>?".  Would a command printing that
> meet your needs?

Yes, do you expect the version directory to change as well?  Since the
application ID would have both pieces of information it seems like
passing both would make sense, and then return an error if that isn't
the correct version.  It seems like there might be a read-only version
and then an upgraded version as well, where even the base directory
would change.

Long term (not v1) I think it'd make sense to have it be a library call
or something simple to document so that we don't have to start another
process.  I'm getting a little concerned about delaying application
startup.

Ted