Re: Summary of my understandings (v2)

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 04:45:30PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:

>> > I missed this one before. What is 'foo' here? I thought that for namespacing
>> > reasons going to be something like 'devusername.appname'. Ie
>> > com.ubuntu.devusername.appname
>>
>> I don't think that we're giving out the com.ubuntu namespace.  I think
>> that applications are expected to use their own domain, and possibly
>> subdomain on it.  So I could have "cx.gould.greatapp" or perhaps if I
>> wanted "cx.gould.games.minesweaper".
>
> Not com.ubuntu in general, but we will be offering
> com.ubuntu.developer.$devusername.$appname (I believe I have that right)
> in order that there can be a reasonable default in tools that doesn't
> first require people to go and register a domain.
>
> However, that's just a default, and for example our core apps will
> likely be in com.ubuntu (or perhaps something like com.ubuntu.apps)
> rather than being under the default per-developer namespace.

I have taken this path as well (e.g.; com.ubuntu.camera,
com.ubuntu.calculator) and thought that if Canonical PES later itself
developed extra packages they would live in com.canonical.*, Verizon
would be com.verizon.* and so on.

This brings in the thought of why click is not /opt/com.ubuntu.click
instead of /opt/click.ubuntu.com, although in itself it is not a click
package.