Searchable applications as a boolean in the manifest

Hejsan,

I'm quite new to manifests, though I did make an effort to read some of
the threads and specs. I'm told posting to the list is the way to go for
proposing a new addition to the spec so that's what I'm doing.

I'm working on in app search, which works roughly like this:
 The app is defined to support searching (in the manifest)
 As you type in the Unity Dash you'll see icons of apps that can be searched
 Searchable apps don't need to be running to invoke search
 The UI toolkit provides a search component - when search is invoked the
app renders search results. The header of the app features a search text
field much like the Dash design and behavior wise.

The implementation happens in bug 1186965 (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/+bug/1186965). A working
example app exists, UI toolkit API is still work in progress, and the
dash side is not yet there.

Now I imagine
 Any app that is searchable can be opened in search mode with keywords
regardless of whether it's running.
 The dash needs to have a list of searchable apps.

 "searchable": true
would be an optional boolean value in the manifest.
Setting this would enable Dash and HUD integration. On the app side, it
inolves at least one signal that is used to populate results based on a
keyword

ciao,
    Christian

Follow ups