Re: Click apps on Desktop before full convergence

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> in some conversations I noted that we probably never ruled out click
> packages as an option for the desktop before having achieved full
> convergence.
>
> I got the feeling that it might make sense to think about this and maybe
> make the conscious decision to not support this. There are a few reasons
> which might make this attractive:
>
>  - security issues regarding X mitigation
>  - work supporting click packages in a unity 7 scope
>  - <more?>
>
> What's your take on this? Does anyone have click-packages-on-the-Desktop
> as a strict requirement? Does anyone feel strongly about supporting this
> (apart from a testing standpoint for app developers)?

We don't for Unity7 and we won't make it for 13.10. It's a lot of
throw-away work that's unscheduled and hard to do.
Since Unity8 will be available in 13.10 as an optional install, that's
what is being targeted and that's what will give access to Click apps
to people who want to test them out. There's also too many unknowns to
ship click packages by default so soon, like filtering by device
capability, screen sizes, architecture, etc. We don't want to random
users to find apps that don't work well on their computers and give
negative feedback to the developers. We'd also have to scale the
server-side aspects of all of this very quickly, and while we've for
the most part planned for it, we took a few shortcuts to get us in the
current state faster knowing that we wouldn't ship to millions of
users in 2 months  :)

So I'd suggest we stick with the plan of shipping in Unity8,
non-default for the brave, and hammer out all the convergence details
before 14.04.

--
Martin