Re: Downloadable content

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> since the beginning of this project there was discussion about
> supporting the notion of downloadable content.
>
> This would for example be relevant in a game where you can download (and
> potentially buy) new maps, new levels or buy extra content for other apps.
>
> As this feels like a bigger project right now, it might be good to
> define its priority first. Alexander, Pat: can you share any information
> about this?
>
> Dependencies of the project would be:
>  - Pre-dependency: purchasing functionality.
>  - App store: app authors will want to upload the content
>               there, associate an app with the content. Have
>               billing work through the app store.
>  - SDK/Platform API: it'd be good if there was a standard way to
>                      handle downloadable content.
>  - Security: do we have any security concerns?
>  - Client: to be hooked up with ubuntu-download-manager and
>            client-side purchasing bits.
>
> Questions to start the conversation might be:
>  - Who'd be willing to help spec this?
>  - How much work do we expect this to be?
>  - Where will the lion share of work happen?
>  - Who will own this sub-project?

When I asked Pat last time he said we need it for OLS..  which is
usually a placeholder for essential items for shipping a real phone,
rather than just ship a distro/platform.

I think it needs to be a cross effort of security, foundations and OLS
again and should be squeezed into the same effort that will deal with
general payments and we should have code etc. at alpha/demo state by
13.10 I believe.