Re: Application upgrades: what happens to running apps?

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 10:15 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 08:02:35AM +0100, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > 4) If the old version is not killed and the new one is started, would we
> > end up with two instances of the same app on different versions, which is
> > not good?
>
> I expect this should be fixed; it just isn't the job of click itself.
> It seems appropriate for a user-level hook to sort this out.

I agree here.

> (It is probably not possible to write such a hook quite yet, because you
> can't write a hook that runs without specifically being attached to by
> an app; however, I already have some comments from Ted in my queue which
> should have the effect of addressing this.)

Here's what I'm thinking.  We set up a hook that runs on each
installation to see if the app is currently running.  If it is, then it
executes something like "click hold" that increments the ref count on
that version.  Then, on application exit, we "click release" the version
so it can be deleted by the garbage collector in time.

Does that make sense to you Colin?  We'd need some additional
functionality in Click for that scheme to work.

Ted