Application upgrades: what happens to running apps?

At the sprint the whole application upgrade story is being talked about,
and I have a technical doubt:

What happens to a running app when you update its click package?

Obviously since app lifecycle[1] means it could be killed while it's
upgraded, then maybe it has to reload its state from a archive created by
the previous version. That's not our problem, it's on the app developer's
hands.

OTOH, what happens if it's *not* killed? It may have been stopped and not
killed because there was no memory pressure.

1) Does the click package installer kill it if it were stopped?

1a) Would it kill it even if it had focus and was running?

2) Does installing a new version deletes the old one?

2a) Doesn't that interfere with the idea of having per-user versions?

3) Is the old version available to be started while the new one is being
installed?

4) If the old version is not killed and the new one is started, would we
end up with two instances of the same app on different versions, which is
not good?

Thanks for feedback!

---

[1] I have to keep forcing myself to not say app lifestyle, for sme reason,
and I have seen at least 3 persons make that mistake, which is funny :-)

Follow ups