Re: ubuntu-bug and click packages

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Evan Dandrea
<evan.dandrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for raising this! It's going to be a fun and interesting area,
> one where we can really make a compelling experience for third-party
> application developers.
>
> Bug reports for crashes didn't scale to tens of millions of users of
> Ubuntu as a desktop OS. I don't think it's going to scale to the
> potential hundreds of millions of users of Ubuntu the mobile OS. We're
> also dealing with an audience that is going to find creating a
> Launchpad account daunting at best. So I'm hesitant to suggest that we
> start creating Launchpad bugs when a click packaged application
> crashes.
>
> We already have crash reporting on the Touch images to
> https://errors.ubuntu.com for system applications and we have plans to
> extend this to third-party applications on Touch (it should just work,
> apport just needs to learn about the click format/API).
>
> This will also extend to developer-specific reports
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker#app-requested). These occur when
> the application has handled an exception, but the developer has
> indicated that they would still like a report of what happened.
>
> Both of these types of reports are entirely noninteractive, with the
> decision to send the reports controlled in the Diagnostics section of
> the System Settings application
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker#Privacy_settings and
> http://ubuntuone.com/38wwqUoPOG1KIY6MLWTYYh).
>
> Developers can log into https://errors.ubuntu.com and look up a list
> of the problems being experienced in their application, sorted by
> frequency. If they want to drill down and get the stacktrace, the
> versions of the application that the problem occurred in, or a time
> sorted list of all the instances of that problem, it's all there. :)
> If they want a Launchpad bug to track their progress on resolving the
> issue, there's a link to create one
> (http://ubuntuone.com/3UaBadTOm06yyjJ9l39oHz).
>
> Thanks, and do let me know if you have any follow up questions.

This all sounds very exciting. Due to the nature of apps on the
phones, we'll likely see a lot more proprietary apps where developers
don't want to share their errors with the world. Do you think there's
a good path forward to providing this data via MyApps only accessible
to each individual developer?

--
Martin