Re: ubuntu-bug and click packages

On 8 August 2013 22:57, Martin Albisetti <martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This all sounds very exciting. Due to the nature of apps on the
> phones, we'll likely see a lot more proprietary apps where developers
> don't want to share their errors with the world. Do you think there's
> a good path forward to providing this data via MyApps only accessible
> to each individual developer?

Hi Martin,

Only accessible to the developer, or only accessible to a small subset
of Canonical Engineering and the developer?

The latter would be easy to implement with our existing openid
infrastructure. Removing Canonical from the data pipeline entirely is
something I've only briefly thought about, in the context of making it
easier for companies to run their own {daisy,errors}.ubuntu.com
services. I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to teach the client
software (whoopsie) to route reports to alternative domains based on
the application the report is being sent for, but I think it's
reasonable to expect that Canonical handles this data. That's already
the case on other platforms like Mac OSX and they seem to have no
difficulty convincing developers of its merit.

If nothing else, it gives us a window into who the worst offenders are
when it comes to buggy applications.