Re: icon files in click packages

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 19:19 +0200, David Barth wrote:

> (sorry if this has been asked before, i couldn't see it in the archive)
>
> Is there a plan for click to install icon files into
> ~/.local/share/icons (the same way it deals with .desktop files)?
>
> Or if it's not considered OK, what would be the recommended way for apps
> to place and lookup icons contained in the click package installation dir?

I don't think we have a good answer here.  When Colin and I were
comparing desktop hooks we even handled the application icon slightly
differently.  I handled it like a name, and didn't adjust it any, and he
handled it like a file and added the path.  His way doesn't allow for
multiple sizes, and my way probably breaks common usage.  I don't think
we've properly closed that issue.

I worry about installing icons in a common directory just because those
icons would be loaded by another process.  I think most applications
would be better off just having their icons, themed or any other way,
included in their click package and loading that into their
application's icon search paths.  They should be able to know the base
package directory by looking at the current working directory on
startup.

Which brings up an interesting attack possibility.  An application with
a corrupted application icon that gets loaded directly by Unity.  You
wouldn't even need to have the app installed as browsing through the
click scope would be enough.  Most icon loaders should be pretty robust
by now...

Ted