Re: App name unicity

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM, David Barth <david.barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What are the plans to manage applications name unicity? I have the
> impression that it may become quickly necessary to avoid a confusing user
> experience.
>
> The typical example is apps like Twitter or Facebook, of which there are
> already multiple instances in the store. The namespaces are distinct, but
> not the "user visible" application names.
>
> Do you plan to refuse submissions once a name is taken? If so, have you
> identified / defined an entity to resolve conflicts? I think the Developer
> Programme terms prevent trademarks infringement, but that can't help with 2
> parties using the acceptable use policy of a site like Twitter or Facebook
> for example.
>
> If name unicity is not planned, should there be a software mechanism in
> Ubuntu to rename apps ("Twitter (2)"?!), like modifying desktop files
> properties or doing it on the fly (and consistently) in the click scope?
>
> What do you think?

There are no plans to enforce unique application titles in the store.
I looked around a bit, and other stores don't do it either[1]. They
do, however, seem to enforce it for popular apps[2], so I assume there
is some trademark issues being enforced on request.
I think we should have a mechanism to block out trademarked names upon
request and proof of ownership, and let the rest sort itself out by
user ratings & reviews (may the best solitaire win!). Otherwise we'll
have a gold rush to scoop up popular app names, and I don't think
that'll benefit anyone.

Does that make sense?

[1] https://play.google.com/store/search?q=solitaire
[2] https://play.google.com/store/search?q=facebook