Re: App name unicity

Le 18/09/2013 20:05, Martin Albisetti a écrit :
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM, David Barth <david.barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What are the plans to manage applications name unicity? I have the
impression that it may become quickly necessary to avoid a confusing user
experience.

The typical example is apps like Twitter or Facebook, of which there are
already multiple instances in the store. The namespaces are distinct, but
not the "user visible" application names.

Do you plan to refuse submissions once a name is taken? If so, have you
identified / defined an entity to resolve conflicts? I think the Developer
Programme terms prevent trademarks infringement, but that can't help with 2
parties using the acceptable use policy of a site like Twitter or Facebook
for example.

If name unicity is not planned, should there be a software mechanism in
Ubuntu to rename apps ("Twitter (2)"?!), like modifying desktop files
properties or doing it on the fly (and consistently) in the click scope?

What do you think?
There are no plans to enforce unique application titles in the store.
I looked around a bit, and other stores don't do it either[1]. They
do, however, seem to enforce it for popular apps[2], so I assume there
is some trademark issues being enforced on request.
The Apple AppStore enforces name unicity strictly. They also manage registered names to track down squatters. Now it's not the only solution as you show with the Androïd example. And in the end, both stores have duplicates and quite often confusingly similar app names.

I guess it becomes an issue when both the name *and* the icon are the same. Which should be a rare case, unless you consider the webapps case :/ In that particular corner of the store, there is not much difference between an icon and an URL, and the same icon and the same URL...

Rightfully so, you noted in the review process that a similar app/wrapper existed. And I feel that this manual control provision is what should safeguard the store.

I think we should have a mechanism to block out trademarked names upon
request and proof of ownership, and let the rest sort itself out by
user ratings & reviews (may the best solitaire win!). Otherwise we'll
have a gold rush to scoop up popular app names, and I don't think
that'll benefit anyone.
I think the Developer Programme Agreement already contains the provisions to request and enforce sound practices. You may want to add more checks and automation to the review process, but that's another question.

So in summary, I fell that you are right to consider the review process as the main mechanism to safeguard the content of the click store. Technically enforcing app name unicity would not a silver bullet.

TL;DR: +1 ;)

David