Re: Architecture support for click packages

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Ricardo Kirkner
<ricardo.kirkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Assumptions
> - a click package can support one of the following architectures: armhf,
> amd64, i386 or all (meaning a generic app that works on all architectures)
> - a click app can support multiple applications by means of multiple click
> packages (one for each supported architecture)

No, click packages will have to be implemented as fat packages to
support multiple architectures. So only one binary per app, the binary
can support multiple architectures.
This opens up the question on how to name the file when you support
multiple architectures (myapp_0.1_armhf-i386-amd64.click?). Maybe we
don't expose the architecture in the file name?

> - supported architectures is a dynamic feature of the click app; it will
> depend on the available uploaded binaries at any given time (and the
> architectures they've been uploaded for)
> - the binary filename will include the architecture  (eg,
> namespace.appname_version_arch.click)

Maybe we don't show the architecture anymore, not sure what we gain.

> - we will now have to allow uploading a new click package for an already
> uploaded version, as long as it's for a new architecture

As per above, only one binary per app. If you want to support more
architectures, you upload a new binary with a new version.

--
Martin